Canada Education System

Under the Canadian constitution, education is the responsibility of the provincial (state) governments. Therefore, there is no uniform system of regulations on education. However, in general, there is not a big difference in the way schools are organized or the time to study at all levels.

The Canadian education system includes public and private schools from kindergarten to college. At the university level, most schools are public. As a result, the quality of education across the country is about the same.

Secondary School

There are many public and private high schools in Canada. At these schools, students can choose from a program that combines English and culture. Most universities do not require foreign students’ language ability, as long as the international student has good academic scores. At the beginning of the school year, international students will be given a language test to determine if they need to study more foreign languages ​​in addition to cultural subjects.

Private Secondary School

Private high schools are present in all provinces. Many prominent Canadian political and business leaders have graduated from these private schools. All private schools must be registered with their province or territory’s Ministry of Education and must meet curriculum and other standards set forth by the ministries concerned. Parents can choose a boys-only school, a girls-only school or both boys and girls schools for their children. Many private schools have comprehensive boarding programs, ensuring parents peace of mind while their children study abroad. Many other schools only have day programs, and some schools have both types of programs.

Public Secondary School

Many Canadian public schools now accept international students and this trend is growing. Public schools are governed at the local level by elected School Boards. Policies regarding international student admission and tuition collection vary by province. Some high schools also have an International Baccalaureate (IB) program. The IB is recognized throughout North America, equivalent to the first year of college. Students who score well in Ib subjects will often be recognized by universities when transferring to university.


There are 175 post-high school institutions that are members of the Association of Community Colleges of Canada (ACCC). These colleges are known by a variety of titles such as: community colleges, technical institutes, university colleges and Cé gep. All of these institutions are responsive to the needs of business, industry, and public service, and to the learning needs of career-oriented high school graduates, students University graduates are looking for jobs as well as the regular academic requirements of older adults.

In fact, many university graduates go to colleges to complete their professional skills. In general, colleges offer more career-intensive curriculum than universities, with small class sizes, off-campus internships, classroom spaces, and information labs. Open air, interactive teaching, and a wide range of entry levels from engineering to creative arts.

Colleges are centers of excellence in many fields such as information technology, mining, environment, hospitality and tourism. Other full-time and part-time programs of study include health, business, literacy, applied arts, social service, and more. Colleges are dynamic educational institutions, often constantly changing to meet the economic and social needs of the community.

University College

The university college as its name suggests is a combination of a Canadian college and university. Attendees can choose from two options: follow a two-year cultural program and then transfer to university, or study for two to three years and graduate with a professional degree. University colleges often set up with several regional universities to combine their transfer programs. Here, students will continue their studies for the last 2 years of a 4-year university program.

Community College

Community colleges are a popular type of school in Canada that offer 1 to 3 year professional training programs (including internships). Some vocational community colleges also offer university transfer programs, allowing students to take courses that are equivalent to the first two years of a four-year college program. After that, students continue to study for the last 2 years at the university to complete the university program.

University Transfer Programs

Students seeking a college degree can complete the first two years of study at a community college or university college and earn credits. Most of these credits are transferable to universities such as first and second years of college. However, students must double-check when choosing courses to suit their intended university major. On the other hand, completion of a university transfer program does not automatically mean admission to a university program, students also need to meet the admission requirements of the relevant university.

Particularly in the province of Quebec, international students can attend a college called Cé gep. For students who have graduated from high school, Cé gep offers two-year university transfer programs or three-year technical transition programs to employment.

Technical Institute/Career College

A private institution whose curriculum provides students with practical skills for the job market after a short training period. Students who want to find short-term training programs in professions such as cinema, computer science, internet, graphic design, hotel tourism, etc. can apply to attend vocational colleges. Although privately owned, these schools are regulated and accredited by the province to ensure curriculum and quality standards are maintained.


Canada has over 95 world-renowned universities for the quality of teaching and research. As a result, Canadian qualifications are recognized around the world.

Canadian universities are funded by the state on a large scale and are of high quality, regardless of university or major, the number of full-time students at each school ranges from 1,000 to over 35,000. These schools offer a wide range of training programs and offer a wide range of degrees from bachelor’s to engineering to doctorate, including professional certificates and diplomas. Tuition fees vary by province, school, and program of study. The college year usually runs from September to May. Some schools follow a two- or three-semester system, including the summer. In Canada, there is no general university entrance exam, only admission. Each school sets its own admission criteria and considers applications on a case-by-case basis.

Language School (Language School)

Canada has two official languages, which means international students can come to Canada to study in English (ESL) or in French as a second language (FSL). Many people choose to study in English in Canada because of the many excellent English schools and because of the pleasant, neutral Canadian accent. Over the years, Canada has developed a very high expertise in English language teaching as many immigrants want to improve their English skills.

International students can study English for general, business or private purposes. In addition, students can also be trained to teach English. In general, private English language schools are more flexible in terms of semesters, programs and admission requirements than university and college language centers. Most French schools are in the province of Quebec. Similar to English-taught programs, students can join a French program at any time. Particularly, international students who enroll in a French or English language program within the last 6 months can study in Canada on a tourist visa.